Who does not want to buy the canvas for the oil painting - or other techniques - prefabricated in the specialized trade, can build it also completely simply. In the following an instruction. Three steps are necessary:
The stretcher bars have a slight elevation at one edge. These special strips are very difficult to make yourself. However, you can get them for a relatively low price. The following video describes the process: the assembly of a wedge frame takes only a few minutes:
Material and tools
You need the following materials to build your own image carrier:
- 4 stretcher frame strips
- if necessary, intermediate strips, if you want to install a cross (from about 100 cm side length)
- Tacker/ staple gun
- a piece of wood
- a sufficiently large piece of fabric: canvas, cotton, nettle, jute, etc.
- If necessary, a special collet ("canvas collet").
Assembly procedure, sequence
The procedure for assembling a wedge frame is very simple:
- First, roughly slide the corners of the strips into each other.
- Tap with a hammer - place the piece of wood in between to prevent damage to the moulding.
- At the corner of a table, check the right angle of the corners, correct by tapping if necessary.
What to do next is explained in the manual: Stretching a canvas on a stretcher frame.